May 16, 2022
To livestream the service of Wells Black at 2:00 PM today, please go to our Funerals page.View All News
Buncombe Street United Methodist Church was founded in 1834.
The congregation was initially established as Greenville Methodist Episcopal Church in a frame building on Coffee Street.
Land was deeded by Vardry McBee to be used to establish a church, a heritage we share with other downtown congregations:
In 1873 a new building was dedicated on property at the corner of Buncombe Street and Richardson Street and the name changed to Buncombe Street Methodist Episcopal Church, South. It is in this location that we continue to join together in worship, service and fellowship.
The name of the church was changed in 1939 to Buncombe Street Methodist, and finally in 1968 to Buncombe Street United Methodist Church.
Throughout our history, we have responded to the needs of our growing and thriving congregation with evolutions in our ministries and at least seven significant expansions and renovations to the facilities at 200 Buncombe Street. In 2017, we expanded in a new way when we adopted the former Trinity United Methodist Church at 2703 Augusta Street and made it a campus of Buncombe Street.
Buncombe Street has consistently responded to the needs of our greater community. We have provided the nucleus for establishment of several suburban congregations. We have also provided leadership in the genesis and growth of agencies that serve our community: United Ministries, Greenville Free Medical Clinic, the Rescue Mission, and Triune Mercy Center, as well as Crisis Ministry at Buncombe Street.
A commitment to growth, outreach, inclusion and stepping out with leaps of faith is evident throughout our history at Buncombe Street. That commitment to following where God leads us lives on today.